Wednesday 26 November 2008

21 November

This was our last day in Mali and our last day of driving on sand. The route twisted through the trees passing numerous small villages on the way. Absolutre top fun, I could pretend to be a real proper rally driver speeding along the sandy dusty track. When I say "speeding", of course it's all relative. The 2cv is not a fast car. We went along at 60 - 80kmh, which felt pretty fast to me and one of the teams, the Garmin car, managed to hit a tree.
Then to the border with Burkina Faso. No problems here although the exit from Mali and the entrance to BF were over 40kms apprt. Perhaps this is normal, just struck me as odd.
We camped in a car park in a sizeable town,Ougigouya, with 37 mosques. They started their first calls to prayer at 04.30 and seemed in competition with each other to be the loudest. The town was also home to a very noisey donkey which bellowed and brayed all night. The rather beautiful Swedish lady, Pia, reckoned it was because it was randy. The Swedes know about these things I suppose.
Slept well.

"We slept in parking lots.
I don't mind, I don't mind"

No comments: