Friday 21 November 2008

12 November

"And as I slept, I dreamt"

Sorry I've been absent dear readers, but we've been up country for a while. Anyway, to catch up...

Today we went completely off the roads and tracks and into the desert proper. We travelled in groups of 3 or 4 cars. Less than that and it's a lot of work for the few to dig and push the cars out of the soft sand. More than that and progress is too slow with more chance that someone in the group will have difficulties.
It was an amazing wonderful experience to be making our way across the sand, trying to pick a route over firm ground but frequently having to get out and get our hands dirty. We made it to our dune camp just before nightfall, exhausted but exhilarated. It was a full moon so I took my sleeping mat away from the camp into the silent night and slept under the stars. Beautiful.
Yes, I've gone native!

"So Major Lawrence, just what is it you like so much about the desert?"
"It's clean. I like it because it's clean"

No comments: