Friday 21 November 2008

13 November


Day two in the desert. Last night whilst I slept under the shimmering firmament, I had a revelation. Unfortunately it was a boring one so I wont bother to tell you about it now.
A harder day today with more 'out of car' activity to get us to the Atlantic. However, on arrival we had a couple of hours to wait before we could get onto the coast road, or 'beach' as some people call it. Just enough time for a swim and snooze. Once the tide had retreated, it was time to charge 60kms down the coast along the wet sands before the sea returned. No stopping here and beware of the 'undertoad'.
We arrived in Nouakchott by nightfall and had the car thoroughly cleaned underneath to get rid of the salt. Whilst at the lavage, I met a shoesalesman (no acquaintance) and selected some shiney sandals, my previous ones having been wrecked, along with my back shoving 2cvs around in the sand.
That night we found out that some of our compatriots had not made it to the coast in time to make the run and had to sleep overnight on the beach ready to catch the next low tide.

No comments: